terça-feira, 9 de junho de 2020

Freedom...

These days I found myself thinking about 'what is freedom?' 
Are we really entitled to use the deep meaning of the word in the World we live in today? Where a simple opinion, based on a moment you decided to use your freedom can easily be taken as a weapon and you will be judged and attacked without mercy and sometimes without being given the benefit of the doubt? Can we really be honest or allow our thoughts to become words or messages published even when they are wrong, because you are willing to be told otherwise and you are willing to say sorry if that is the case?
I realize soon enough that as honest as our soul is, being part of a World full of people with different thoughts and power, we can have an opinion, we might even be able to discuss it with a few people we call friends, but our freedom ends there. 
I wanted to be a Journalist, I wanted to have the courage to go to a war zone and be able to tell the real story behind that war/conflict. Soon enough on my first year in University, I realized that was just a dream that was doomed to die at the cost of my own soul. I wouldn't be able to change the World telling the truth because until the moment I would probably have that power, I would have suffered enough writing what people wanted to hear or what the person in power would allow. It's all politics and economic power...
Was I too naive? I certainly was... but somehow I allowed the dreamer inside me to live throughout the years being always too honest even when the subject was sensitive and many people would simply avoid the pain of going through it.
Am I a hero or somehow perfect? Far from that, so many times I failed, I made wrong judgements, I had a bad opinion about good things, and good opinion about bad things. It's a trial and error and we are always learning cause at least that means we are living.
I believe the most important thing is assuming when you are wrong even if your opinion is valid like any other and being able to say sorry when you were harsh or inconsequent. We are all vulnerable to feel certain situations more than we feel others, to fight for certain causes or stories more than we fight for others and we can also understand the other side and apologize if our freedom of expressing something had collided with their struggle to make things better. Sometimes different visions of the same story just mean the World we live in is so full of diversity, beliefs and life experiences that is impossible we all have the same opinion. 
We are born and raised with different values, in different societies, with different religions and with completely different economic backgrounds and that tarnished us to be the Humans we are and to see the World one way or the other. What is wrong and what is right depends on so many things and so does our freedom. 
So we are free in our own World, in our thoughts, in our heart and our freedom ends when it collides with someone else's freedom.
The important thing is that you never feel ashamed to assume your mistakes and that you always use your freedom to be true to yourself even if the World is not ready for it.

Sem comentários: